Job Title: Director, VCS Program Development
Location: Remote - Worldwide (working with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Director, Program Development & Forest Carbon Innovation
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
Verra’s Program Development & Innovation (PD & I) Team is looking for a strategic lead for VCS Program VCS Program updates.
A day with Verra’s PD & I Team might include…
- Working with the Policy & Markets Team to develop a strategy around potential tightening of VCS additionality requirements based on emerging regulatory and market risks and opportunities;
- Planning for VCS Program updates needed as a result of recommendations from Verra’s digital monitoring, reporting and verification working group;
- Briefing the Verra Board about items proposed for public consultation; and
- Discussing the feasibility and timeframe of a potential change to the VCS Program Fee Schedule with the Finance and Registry Teams.
Specific functions you will be responsible for...
- Leading the evolution of the VCS Program so that it maintains its position as the most trusted and used standard in the voluntary carbon market;
- Connecting ideas and proposals from internal and external stakeholders to target VCS Program updates in existing or new areas where Verra is uniquely positioned to have the most impact at scale;
- Working with Verra leadership and your team to identify VCS Program development issues that need to be put in front of the Verra Board;
- Ensuring that the VCS Program Advisory Group has the right membership and is used effectively to assess and support powerful innovations to the Program;
- Collaborating with program development managers for all other Verra programs (the CCB Standards, SD VISta and the Plastic Standard) to ensure strategic alignment; and
- Leading and supporting a growing team responsible for VCS Program development.
You bring with you...
- A strong creative problem-solving approach and the ability to think big-picture.
- At least eight years of professional experience working in the carbon market for a standards organization (preferred), or an NGO, government, project developer, and/or a validation/verification body.
- Technical background and proven understanding and work on GHG accounting, methodologies, standards, and carbon crediting programs. Expertise in natural climate solutions would be advantageous.
- Understanding of project development and an appreciation for the challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners in this arena.
- Strong project management, attention to detail, and experience handling opposing priorities and cross-team collaboration.
- Strong team management skills, including assessing needs, training and promoting professional development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English is essential. Proficiency in other UN languages would be an advantage.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Directly influencing the contributions of the VCS Program, and the projects and programs verified against it, to climate change mitigation.
- Finding effective ways to ensure the quality and scale of projects certified and credits issued under the VCS Program.
- Working with a dynamic, committed, and focused team of professionals.
- Mentoring Verra junior staff and supporting their development.
You will know you are successful, if...
- You are seen as an invaluable and reliable leader of the VCS Program development team by your direct reports, peers and manager.
- VCS Program development team members are high performing and have clear opportunities for professional development and advancement.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback regarding Verra’s ability to collaborate to find workable solutions to challenges they face.
- The VCS Program remains the world’s leading and most trusted carbon accounting and crediting standard.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
For this position, the starting salary range is commensurate with experience and is intended to be USD 103,000-117,000. Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid time off, comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (maximum one page)
- Resume/CV (maximum two pages)
Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us.
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.