Job Title: South Africa Manager
Location: All locations, South Africa
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director, Verra Programs
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods, and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra is looking for a South Africa Manager to manage and promote Verra’s programs in South Africa including the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program, the Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ framework (JNR), the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards and the Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta).
Since the enactment of the South African Carbon Tax Act in 2019 and the implementation of the Carbon Offsets Administration System (COAS) in July 2020, Verra has experienced demand from a variety of local stakeholders wishing to engage with the VCS. The South Africa Manager will provide quality service to our stakeholders and maintain positive and proactive relationships with public authorities. Another important objective of this role is driving sustainable outcomes locally through SD VISta and the CCB standards.
A day representing Verra in Africa might include…
- Working with administrators of South Africa’s Carbon Offset Administration System (COAS) and other local authorities to ensure seamless interoperation between VCS project proponents and the government’s carbon market infrastructure.
- Responding to enquiries from stakeholders related to the use of the VCS, CCB, and SD VISta programs.
- Reviewing documents submitted by account holders for completeness and accuracy, making project site visits, and liaising closely with project stakeholders, including to support requests for project registration, issuance of VCUs, and conversion of credits from other GHG programs to the VCS Program, and to COAS.
- Interactions with other Verra Teams regarding opportunities and needs for the development and use of Verra frameworks in the South African and regional context.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading...
- Representing Verra locally, managing relationships, and collaborating with key stakeholders and counterparts from the public and private sectors.
- Making the VCS, CCB, and SD VISta program operational and accessible in South Africa, especially in respect of resolving issues that may arise.
- Maintaining consistency in the way Verra operates and engages stakeholders at a regional level, working in collaboration with the Latin America Team.
- Leading education and training activities for demand and supply-side market stakeholders, via webinars, attending local meetings and workshops, and delivering presentations.
- Building local leadership and capacity for auditing projects seeking to certify under the VCS, CCB, and SD VISta programs.
You bring with you…
At least 10 years of demonstrated professional experience related to:
- Technical knowledge of, and experience working with, environmental and/or social standards.
- The development and/or validation/verification of VCS, CDM, or other carbon projects in Africa, including knowledge of GHG quantification methodologies, baselines, additionality, leakage, non-permanence, and monitoring.
- Familiarity with the major carbon project types, including energy efficiency, waste management, transportation or Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land Uses (AFOLU).
- Excellent networking and communication skills and an existing network of contacts in South Africa and ideally, other countries in Africa.
- Strong organizational skills and discipline to be able to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines with limited supervision.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills, capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by…
- Leading the newest regional team in Verra, including developing and implementing strategy for Verra in South Africa and potentially, regionally.
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Engaging on how our standards can continue to maintain the highest levels of rigor, respond to market needs, and provide workable solutions that drive finance to climate action and sustainable development.
- Expanding your network of professionals working on climate and sustainable development, including government officials, private sector actors, NGOs, and others.
You will know you are successful, if...
- Verra leads in respect to certifying climate change and sustainable development impacts from projects and programs in South Africa.
- Verra’s programs are recognized by local and regional actors as providing the highest level of rigor, integrity, and workability.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback in respect of Verra’s management of its programs in South Africa.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, ex-government representatives, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, we pay employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is $73,347 - $83,273 USD.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), sabbatical and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to you contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.