Job Title: Manager, Plastic Program
Location: Washington, DC preferred (working remotely during COVID-19, with long-term flexible work arrangements possible)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director, Sustainable Development Programs
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools and programs that credibly, transparently and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra is looking for a Plastic Program Manager to oversee the strategy, direction and evolution of Verra’s Plastic Waste Reduction Program, which will launch in January 2021. This individual will use their experience in the plastic waste management sector and strong project management skills to lead the Plastic Program, ensuring that it drives finance to meaningfully scale up waste collection and management to the levels needed to keep significant amounts of plastic from entering the environment and the world’s oceans.
A day with Verra’s Program Team might include…
- Thinking through strategic program development and market implications and devising solutions to ensure the Plastic Standard plays a role in helping to solve critical environmental and social problems.
- Collaborating with key external stakeholders (e.g., project proponents, corporates, VVBs, other market participants) and internal staff (e.g., Innovation and Program Teams, market development, communications) to track evolving approaches and market dynamics, gather feedback on the Plastic Program, and develop ways to streamline and/or strengthen the Program’s requirements and procedures.
- Identifying and developing (or supporting development of) new tools and products to strengthen the Plastic Program (e.g., new methodologies, GHG module).
- Facilitating linkages of the Plastic Program and registry with state and national extended producer responsibility schemes and other plastic crediting systems and platforms.
- Mentoring and managing Verra staff.
Specific functions you are responsible for leading…
- Overseeing the development and implementation of the Plastic Program, including:
- Establishing and leading the Plastic Standard Advisory Group (PSAG) to gather broad technical input on the Standard and developments to the Plastic Program.
- Leading Plastic Program interactions with the Verra Board and ensuring that potential risks to the organization related to the Plastic Program are addressed.
- Engaging with other outside stakeholders, including project developers, corporates and NGOs to inform program development and evolution.
- Overseeing the development of the Plastic Program documents.
- Contributing to the development of an accreditation program for the Plastic Program scope.
- Managing methodology development for the Plastic Standard.
- Supporting management of the Plastic project registry.
- Work with the Innovation team on Plastic Program Innovations.
- Leading the assessment of supply and demand for the Plastic Standard to inform opportunities for program development, marketing and potential new partnerships.
- Management of one Program Officer.
- Supporting Verra’s relationship with the 3R Initiative.
You bring with you...
- Significant experience in plastic waste management, preferably in a global context working with plastic waste recovery and recycling activities on the ground and with investors in those activities.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience, preferably with experience working for a standards organization, carbon project developer and/or assessment organization.
- Demonstrated experience formulating and executing strategy. An ability to think creatively and in a solution-oriented manner is essential.
- An existing network of key organizations and individuals working on plastic waste reduction strategies is preferred.
- Demonstrated success in leading collaborative teams to produce significant outcomes; at least three years of work experience overseeing technical teams is preferred.
- Good interpersonal skills; capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations, and able to provide support and levity for team members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other languages would be an advantage.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by…
- Working at the cutting edge of a program designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle one of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Leading the management and development of the Plastic Program to ensure that it is and will continue to be rigorous, reflects market needs and provides workable solutions that drive finance to social and environmental impact.
- Expanding your network of professionals working on sustainable development, including corporates, NGOs, governments and others.
- Managing Verra staff and supporting their development.
You will know you are successful if…
- The Plastic Program is recognized as providing the highest level of rigor, integrity and workability and has a growing impact on mitigating plastic waste in the environment and improving livelihoods.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback in respect of the Plastic Program management and development processes.
- The Verra Program and Innovation Teams remain motivated to operate and evolve the Plastic Program.
- Verra continues to be the leading standard-setting organization in respect of certifying environmental and sustainable development impacts from projects and programs.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $73,347-$83,273, depending on experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), sabbatical and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.